Bolognese is hands down one of my favourite meals. It would be my go-to whenever we would go to an Italian restaurant. And when I lived at home, it’s the meal my mum would always cook for me on my birthday. Did anyone else’s parents do that or was it just my family? But I wanted to make an healthy version so that while I was losing weight, I could still eat the foods I loved before.
This recipe serves two.
150g of your chosen Pasta. For this recipe I used a mixture of Penne and Fusilli.
120g Lean Beef Mince.
A Pepper. I use frozen mixed peppers because these are cheap, come already chopped and they are different colours so I think they look nicer. But I used about a peppers worth of them.
A 400g Can of Chopped Tomatoes
10g of Grated Parmesan
- Place the pasta into a saucepan and add boiling water so it just covers the pasta. You will need to keep an eye on this so it doesn’t bubble over or stick to the bottom of the saucepan throughout this recipe.
- Using a second saucepan, add the beef and cook.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper into the beef saucepan.
- Season with some garlic. I used about half a teaspoon.
- Once the beef and vegetables are cooked, add the whole can of the chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Let this cook for about 3-4 minutes on a high heat so that the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add in the Italian seasoning.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and mix the pasta into the sauce.
- Half the mixture into two bowls and half the parmesan to top.
- Sit down, and enjoy!