The inspiration for this recipe came from my husband’s hate of vegetables. Yep, that’s right, he hates them! And he isn’t too keen on mashed potato either due to the consistency. So this was my resolution. Spicy sauce and a crispy potato topping. I felt like a culinary genius! But even more so when hubby loved it!!
Ingredients (serves 2):
100g Beef Mince
Half an Onion
1 Pepper (I used some frozen mixed peppers)
400g can of Chopped tomatoes
100g Cheese (whatever you like)
100ml Skimmed Milk
4 Medium Sized Potatoes
Salt and Pepper
- With this recipe, have two pans on the go. There’s a bit of jumping between the pan’s but not so much that it’s flustering.
- In pan 1, cook the peeled potatoes in salted water until cooked. Keep an eye on this and stir it occasionally.
- In pan 2, cook the mince, onion and peppers (you can use whatever vegetables you like).
- In pan 2, once the mince and veggies are cooked, add the chopped tomatoes and seasoning. Turn the hob down so that it simmers away.
- After about 10-15 minutes, pan 1 will be done so drain the potatoes. Now it’s time to make the mash. If you have your own usual recipe then you can definitely stick to that! But I use the milk and then add some Garlic Powder.
- Get yourself an ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Add in the beef sauce to the ovenproof dish, then top with the mashed garlicy potatoes. Try to spread the potatoes out so that they create a fairly even layer.
- Now top this with the cheese. I tend to use mozzarella, but you can use whatever cheese you like.
- Top with some black pepper and put into the oven for about 10 minutes.
- When it comes out the potato should have a golden colour to it, and the beef sauce will be bubbling so it’s time to serve.
- Now sit down, and enjoy!